What you eat affects how you look because diet matters on the cellular level. Getting premature wrinkles and skin that appears dull and lifeless is something most women fear. By the time we hit forty, we’re fighting a serious battle against the effects of time and history.
There are powerful anti-aging foods that can come to the rescue! Eating quality food is one of the simplest and most direct ways to keep your skin healthy all your life.Eating quality food is one of the simplest and most direct ways to keep your skin healthy all your life.Click To Tweet
You need a combination of the “anti-aging trio” to battle the years and prevent them from showing on your face. Healthy food, lowering your daily stress (especially chronic stress), and plenty of quality sleep aren’t even a trick! They’re common sense solutions that take very little effort, don’t cost a fortune, and will give you measurable results.
You want healthier, more youthful skin. A diet of healthy, delicious food is a major step to get you there. Here are five anti-aging foods to help you in the fight to keep your skin lovely.
1. Seafood: Various types of fish are a rich source of healthy fats that help moisturize your skin from the inside out. Seafood such as salmon, cod, tuna, mackerel, and sardines contain substantial omega-3 fatty acids and selenium which keep your skin healthy and protect it from UV damage naturally.
In addition, frequent intake of fatty fish is also linked with better mental functioning, memory, and overall cognition. There’s nothing fishy about the scientifically proven benefits of seafood to help you prevent neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, and other forms of dementia!
Did you know…There are many varieties of fish that are great for skin health (and delicious). Add seafood to your eating plan twice a week to get the full benefits and remember to choose wild-caught varieties to avoid the negative effects of farmed fish.
2. Cucumbers: These humble veggies aren’t fancy or rare but they can work wonders for your skin! Add this readily available and inexpensive vegetable to your salads or use them in place of crackers for tuna fish or hummus.
There is a lot of water in cucumbers, which makes it an excellent choice for additional hydration that replenishes your cells. Experts estimate that more than 70% of Americans are chronically dehydrated. The silica content of cucumbers is a natural wrinkle fighter that aids in your body’s collagen production for skin that’s supple and radiant.
Did you know…Cucumber is practically a zero-calorie vegetable. They’re an excellent choice if you’re looking to get more fiber and control your weight.
Cucumbers are an excellent choice if you’re looking to get more fiber and control your weight.Click To Tweet
3. Sea Vegetables: Anti-aging foods from the ocean have proven time and again to boost health, fight the ravages of time, and provide powerful antioxidant compounds not found in any other foods on earth. Seaweed and algae are outstanding choices to make for your body. Kelp, arame, nori, wakame, spirulina, and chlorella can be found in Asian food markets for cooking or dried for use in your daily shake.
Just a few of the major nutrients found in sea vegetables and algae are iodine, vitamin C, manganese, and multiple B vitamins. They have few calories so they’re a nutrient-dense food that’s ideal for those looking to lose weight, diabetics, and those with heart disease. These foods help to keep your skin’s moisture barrier intact and prevent the entry of free radicals and toxins.
Did you know…Sea vegetables work fabulously as a face mask! Combine 2 tablespoons of kelp powder, 1 tablespoon of raw honey, and a few drops from an orange for a wonderful topical mask that rejuvenates and refreshes skin. Apply liberally, leave on for 10 minutes, rinse with warm water, and pat dry.
4. Blood Oranges: These dark oranges have more of the antioxidant anthocyanin that’s been proven to target free radicals damaging your skin. Blood oranges fight UV damage naturally by giving you protection on the cellular level.
If you’re a person who loves the outdoors, make sure you liberally apply natural sunscreen and snack on blood oranges. They’re also available in several organic juices so make sure you stock up in the summer months!
Did you know…Blood oranges contain excellent amounts of folate (about 40mg per orange). If you’re pregnant or nursing, eat a couple of these delicious citrus fruits each day to protect baby’s development.
5. Cottage Cheese: A wonderful source of selenium, cottage cheese loves your skin (including your scalp)! Selenium is a primary ingredient in dandruff shampoos but the abundance of heavy chemicals has to be weighed in overall benefit. It’s also a great source of casein, protein, and electrolytes.
As far as dairy products, cottage cheese has the lowest amount of lactose so if you have difficulty with milk, you might want to give it a try. You can do a lot with cottage cheese from replacing ricotta in Italian dishes to topping it with fruit for a delicious treat. It has a bad rap…give it another chance.
Did you know…Cottage cheese is a good vegetarian source of protein to keep your bones strong and your body healthy. Check your labels and go with grass-fed, organic varieties if you can. If the “lumpiness” of cottage cheese freaks you out, get a small curd type.
Youthful and glowing skin can happen from the inside out. Instead of investing in expensive skin creams that may or may not deliver (odds are they don’t), consider treating your skin with anti-aging foods instead.
Cheaper and more effective in the long run, food is the best way to love your skin.
Something to keep in mind when you’re shopping for anti-aging foods…look out for natural foods high in vitamin A, vitamin B3, vitamin C, vitamin E, and vitamin K.
To get your daily need of vitamin D, spend 10 minutes in the early morning or late afternoon outside and let the sun touch your hands and face. If you’re going to be outside for longer, opt for natural sunscreen (rather than the chemically laden over the counter options).
For the best skin possible into oldest age, eat skin-loving foods, lower stress in every way possible, and get some sleep!
Want even more goodness? You may like:
Reverse heart disease with this special sugar...You don’t want to miss the sweet secret to beating the #1 killer in the world.
Discover how to detox and protect the most vital body system you usually ignore…with scientifically proven 10-minute “bio-hacks.”