My interest in brain health and foods for you brain is a personal one but I share my findings with you because it’s crucial to every person on the planet.
First (and most disturbing), you have been lied to.
The dispute over whether the lies we’ve been told in regards to healthy fats, your brain, and your overall health were deliberate to push food industry profits or willful ignorance to promote dangerous and unproven theories doesn’t matter.
How Savvy Marketing Changed the Rules
In the past four decades, the American population has been strong-armed by the medical community, major health organizations, the agriculture industry, food manufacturers, and government agencies to live a “low-fat” lifestyle.
Based on a few (now disputed) studies, fat was vilified and stripped from our diet. It was replaced with thousands of chemicals, sugars such as high-fructose corn syrup (HFCS), and a massive share of grain-based foods we were told were “natural” and “healthier” than the awful repercussions of fat.
Whole foods such as eggs, butter, and coconut oils were the focus of major marketing campaigns to convince consumers to stop using them. They were considered harbingers of heart disease, high cholesterol, obesity, and diabetes.
The upshot, “If you want to be healthy, stop eating these horrible fats.”
The United States food pyramid allowed a miniscule portion to fats while expecting you to fill half your plate with “whole” grains (a term coined by the cereal industry) to feel your best.
The replacement products – pre-packaged egg white blends, margarine, and hydrogenated vegetable oils – were praised as a new wave of healthy eating. Millions of refined carbs and pre-made foods hit the consumer market full force proclaiming “low-fat” on the packaging.
Fat was all that really mattered. Sugar was only considered a bad thing if you wanted to lose weight so artificial sweeteners gained steam during this period as well.
The Results of the Grand Experiment on Our Health
Fast forward forty years later and where is that upward trend to better health? Where is the lower cholesterol promised? The reduction in heart disease deaths? The expected drop in obesity-related conditions? The projected control over insulin levels?
In the time since whole foods and healthy fats were systematically eliminated from our Standard American Diet (SAD), we’ve seen legitimate explosions in obesity, diabetes, heart disease, all forms of dementia, cancer, and auto-immune diseases. Serious epidemics that claim the lives of millions annually and are only now being addressed within the past dozen years.
Healthy Fats, Food for Your Brain, and Everything Else
When confronted with the massive failure of new trends, many of the initial culprits doubled-down. They not only stuck to their original (disproven) theories, they aggressively attempted to dispute the evidence showing how wrong they were. Let’s talk about the basic fat facts you need to know to make an informed decision about your diet.
- Your brain is 60% fat. When you don’t get enough healthy fats in your diet, you’re robbing your brain of the building materials it requires to function.
- Every cell in your body uses the cholesterol found in fat and not all cholesterol is the same.
- During physical activity, your body will burn consumed carbs first and then switch to burning fat for fuel after approximately 20 minutes.
- Linoleic acid (omega-6) and alpha-linolenic acid (omega-3) are essential fatty acids. They are known to be critical to human health because you cannot live (or function) without them.
- You need healthy fats for brain development, proper clotting of your blood and controlling systemic inflammation.
- Healthy fats (especially essential fatty acids) must come from your diet because your body is unable to manufacture them.
- In the Standard American Diet, we consume a disproportionate amount of linoleic fats (omega-6s) in the form of hydrogenated oils used in production of snacks, fast foods, and pre-packaged products.
- The majority of the American population doesn’t get enough alpha-linolenic acids (omega-3s), which are found in fatty fish (salmon, tuna, sardines), flaxseeds (the best source), walnuts, sea vegetables, as well as meats and dairy from grass-fed animals.
- Children deprived of adequate fat in prenatal and early childhood have a higher risk of poor brain development as well as disease later in life.
Scientists with the Department of Neurology at the Chi-Mei Medical Center in Taiwan stated in their study of healthy fats and the human brain, “Beyond their important role in building the brain structure, EFAs [essential fatty acids], as messengers, are involved in the synthesis and functions of brain neurotransmitters, and in the molecules of the immune system.”
You crave healthy fats. Your brain’s way of saying, “Hey! I need some building materials.”Omega-3 & Omega-6 are critical to human health because you cannot live or function without them!Click To Tweet
In order to keep your mood in balance, your cognition sharp, and your body healthy – you need healthy fats in your eating plan. Again, your body doesn’t make them…you have to consume them. That doesn’t mean you should go crazy on fries or apple turnovers. That’s not the kind of fat you need or want running through your veins.
You need the good stuff.
Read “Healing Fats of Life” right now and learn more about the function of healthy fats inside you, great sources you might not know about, and how it’s going to change how you look and feel from the inside out.
Don’t wait. Your brain wants healthy fat. You’ll be glad when you provide them.Don’t wait. Your brain wants healthy fat. You’ll be glad when you provide them. #BrainFoodClick To Tweet
Want even more goodness? You may like:
Reverse heart disease with this special sugar...You don’t want to miss the sweet secret to beating the #1 killer in the world.
Discover how to detox and protect the most vital body system you usually ignore…with scientifically proven 10-minute “bio-hacks.”