It’s scientifically proven that women live longer. Since making that realization in the course of scientific research, there have been jokes.
The life of a woman is filled with internal chaos and hormone changes. From puberty, we’re inundated with almost constant fluctuations as our bodies deal with all the party tricks that are part of being born female.
That’s just what’s going on in our bodies.
I know I’m not alone when I say I hate everything about menstruation – physically and emotionally. Some months, I don’t recognize myself. Almost like a less intelligent and overly dramatic human is inhabiting my brain for a couple of days.
Every month since I was a teenager, it’s hard to focus and almost impossible not to become incredibly angry (at nothing) or emotional (over anything) for the first two days of my period.
The average woman will experience 450 periods in her lifetime. I can’t even…
According to a survey done by the Association of Reproductive Health Professionals, almost 80% of us regard it as something that must be endured. I have no clue what’s going on with the other 20% of women in that study.It’s scientifically proven that women live longer than men. #GirlPower #WeEarnedItClick To Tweet
How Women Feel During the Magic of Menstruation
- 84% are bloated
- 84% are moody
- 81% have cramps (63% have severe cramps)
- 80% are irritable
- 78% are fatigued
- 67% feel angry
- 64% experience heavy flow
When I hear jokes about how women live longer, I think, “We’ve earned that time.”
Month after month, year after year, for literally decades – we endure. Women also deal with things men simply do not. Childbirth, regular gynecological exams, and mammograms are just a few of the treats our gender has to handle with a (grim) smile on our faces.
Post-menopause (another magical journey we get to look forward to), we’re finally free of the monthly insanity. Sure, being older has its own obstacles but getting rid of menstruation once and for all is something I’m personally looking forward to.
Estrogen and Immunity
Other than my ideological reasoning for women living longer, there’s scientific evidence that our bodies are better at fighting foreign invaders. We recover faster from assaults by viruses and bacteria and even have a much lower risk of certain serious diseases than men despite similar lifestyle habits.
It’s all about our immune systems.
Researchers from Tokyo published their findings on the differences in male and female immunity in the Immunity and Aging journal.
In our twenties, women and men are pretty close in immunity. Over time, the genes that determine our ability to fight off sickness gradually decrease but it happens more slowly for women. The answer could be our levels of estrogen.
Pre-menopause, women are statistically less likely to experience the same rates of heart disease that men face. Post-menopause, our risks spike sharply when our bodies have a dramatic drop in estrogen production.
Your body relies on DNA, protein, and ribonucleic acid (RNA) – they’re essential to life. It’s the RNA that gives women the edge.
Dr. Claude Libert with Ghent University in Belgium explained, “Females live longer than males and are more able to fight off shock episodes from sepsis, infection or trauma. We believe this is due to the X chromosome which in humans contains 10% of all microRNAs [the Y chromosome contains none]. Several X chromosome-located strands of microRNA have important functions in immunity and cancer.”
That 10% microRNA advantage is pretty serious stuff. Unfortunately, the results of most scientific studies aren’t gender-identified. This is a growing problem since research is consistently slanted to reflect the male population that dominates participation.
In other words, if it isn’t specifically about women or men, the results aren’t reflected at a male/female level. This gender gap is one of the reasons that the risks of heart disease for women post-menopause was overlooked for the last fifty years. It was considered a “man’s” disease despite claiming the lives of more women annually.
Finally, more researchers are seeing the need for female-based studies and it’s about time. Read our free report about women and heart disease right now by clicking here!
Habits Still Matter, Ladies
Naturally, your diet and lifestyle also have a huge role in overall immunity for either gender. If you smoke, eat poorly, are generally sedentary, or struggle with addiction, you develop a higher risk of disease whether you’re a man or woman.
Certain habits cause your body to deteriorate more rapidly at the genetic level.
Women live longer than men and our estrogen levels have a lot to do with it.
I’m not sure 450 periods, mammograms, childbirth, and the brutality of menopause are a fair trade for shorter colds and a few years longer life than male counterparts but I guess there had to be a “silver lining” somewhere.Women live longer than men and our estrogen levels have a lot to do with it.Click To Tweet