Sometimes, you just gotta jump! I know it sounds like something out of the nineties but you need to listen to me on this one.
I had my doubts about this “new” old trend. I wondered if the benefits of rebounding were being blown out of proportion. I mean, my grandmother had one when I was a kid! How effective could it possibly be?
The only way to know for sure…I tried it myself.
Now, I’m not going to lie. At first, I was more than a little nervous. I’m not one of those people who just jump on a bike and take off on a ten-mile ride. I don’t tie up my sneakers and go running. That’s not me. Never has been, never will be.
As I’ve mentioned before: I’m not a big fan of exercise.
It’s something I know I need and I force myself to do it but it doesn’t make me giddy like it does my sister-in-law. [That woman loves exercise. I’m pretty sure she was planted here by aliens to stop the obesity epidemic – or something. I don’t know but when she starts talking about exercise and fitness, her eyes light up. Weirdest thing ever.]
So dragging my new rebounder (yeah, it’s a miniature trampoline but people like things fancy) into my living room was interesting. I stared at it for a few minutes with what I’m certain was the epitome of confusion on my face.
This was supposed to change my life? I just…get on it and jump?
The short answer is yes (to both). Rebounding benefits are pretty awesome and all you have to do is get on the thing and jump.Rebounding benefits are pretty awesome and all you have to do is get on the thing and jump. Click To Tweet
Seemed too good to be true at first so I withheld my judgment for one month. I figured that was short enough to stick it out if I hated it but maybe long enough to see results.
Turns out, I didn’t hate it. I psyched myself up to whine, to pile it with clothes, or maybe just gracefully sprain my ankle so I’d have an excuse to ditch the whole experiment.
Let’s Talk Top 10 Rebounding Benefits
1. It’s an inexpensive form of exercise. Rebounders range from $40 to $400. Mine was $100. I went with the one that had the best reviews on the lower end of the spectrum. I didn’t want to invest a lot if I hated the thing. Six weeks later, it was a worthy investment.
2. Lower impact on the joints. This is a big one for me because I’ve seen the effects of beating up your bones and joints in older family members. You don’t have to hurt your body to help it.
3. Rebounding improves oxygen circulation. While you’re jumping, your heart is pumping oxygen-rich blood through your body like it does with running and cycling (except right in your living room without the running and cycling part).
4. Awesome for your heart. Improving blood pressure, lowering bad cholesterol and triglycerides, and strengthening the heart muscle are all good things the rebounder is proving to excel at.
5. Helps improve your balance and coordination. I’m not graceful. That fact was the root of my nervousness before I started jumping. After the first three days, I felt stronger and more confident. Some rebounders have a bar or bands to hold for balance.
6. Great for your lymphatic system. Your lymph system is critical to your entire immune system and it runs on two things: movement and breathing. If you want to shake your lymphatic structure up in a good way, try the benefits of rebounding!
7. Improves your body’s ability to flush toxins. As the backbone of your immunity, the lymph system is responsible for pushing toxins out of your body. A high-functioning lymph system means contaminants aren’t stagnating inside you.
8. Promotes better sleep. All exercise (repeat: all exercise) helps you sleep better. This has been scientifically proven again and again. Regular exercise (even low-impact) means quality sleep your body should never have to live without.
All exercise (repeat: all exercise) helps you sleep better. #GetUpAndMoveClick To Tweet
9. Rebounding is fun. I was prepared to hate it. Instead, it became my favorite form of cardio workout. It’s like being a (super responsible and health-conscious) kid again!
10. It’s still exercise and it works. Just because something is fun doesn’t mean it doesn’t work. Experts state that 20 minutes on your rebounder gives you the equivalent benefit of running for an hour! That’s good for preventing or lowering your risk of disease as well as losing weight. A win-win all around. It strengthens muscles, helps your cardiovascular system, helps you lose weight, without jostling your body unnecessarily.
You can find lots of different rebounder workouts online but I knew I needed to get comfortable with the trampoline before I tried to follow directions.
The first week, I picked motions I was already comfortable doing on the floor and set my timer for 10 minutes.
I started with light up and down bounces in place to get accustomed to the feel of it. Then I added some jumping jacks – nothing too crazy at first because I had to know I wasn’t going to fall off. I added high-knees but it would take a couple of days before this one felt “safe” to me personally.
If you’re in doubt with any particular exercise, fall back on bounces from one foot to the other. Honestly, it doesn’t have to be complicated. Literally every movement works! The benefits of rebounding are an easy and fun to incorporate more movement in your daily life.
10 Minutes is All It Takes!
Anyone who tells you that health and fitness should consume hours of your day is either lying to you or woefully misinformed. While taking care of your body is a lifestyle choice, it shouldn’t take up all your time, energy, or money. Good health needs to be incorporated into your lifestyle or you’re never going to stick to it.
I can show you how to improve your life every day in 10 minutes. Your mental, physical, and emotional wellbeing are a priority but they aren’t the only items on your daily to-do list.
Check out my book Vivid Living to learn how you can change your life without stressing yourself out with unrealistic goals, expensive equipment, and hours of commitment you simply don’t have to give. You can do this…and you can learn to live vividly!
Take your time, enjoy it, and maybe you’ll be the one who’s eyes glaze over when you tell others about how you just gotta jump!Good health needs to be incorporated into your lifestyle or you’re never going to stick to it!Click To Tweet
Want even more goodness? You may like:
Reverse heart disease with this special sugar...You don’t want to miss the sweet secret to beating the #1 killer in the world.
Discover how to detox and protect the most vital body system you usually ignore…with scientifically proven 10-minute “bio-hacks.”