Many of us have heard the old song about dropping the lime in the coconut. Or the wonderful scent of coconut fills you with thoughts of beach days and summertime, but there is far more to coconut than you would could have ever imagined.
Coconut oil is a health marvel, naturally anti-viral, anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and anti-inflammatory. It’s also a powerful antioxidant. Here are just a few astounding coconut oil benefits.
How the Benefits of Coconut Oil Can Improve Your Health Inside & Out:
- With summer comes more time out in the sun. You can use coconut oil benefits instead of an expensive over the counter tanning product to protect your skin and help it retain moisture.Pacific islanders and other indigenous cultures have used coconut oil for thousands of years to protect their skin. Sunshine is great for elevating your mood and stimulating your body to naturally produce Vitamin D, but be careful not to overdo it. Nobody likes a burn and coconut oil doesn’t block the absorption of Vitamin D.
- The anti-bacterial qualities of coconut oil give it natural healing properties. Scrapes, bug bites, even that sunburn will heal quicker with an application of coconut oil. Bruises will fade faster. Tender from your new tattoo? A little coconut oil will soothe your skin without damaging your ink.
- Mix some coconut oil and peppermint oil extract to create a naturally non-toxic insect repellant. If you’re going out to be outside for the day you don’t have to worry about all of those bugs and mosquito’s. It’s cheaper and it smells good too.
- Natural lice removal treatment: If you’re a parent you’ve likely received a letter at some point that someone at your child’s school has been found to have lice. This normally means a trip to the store for a foul smelling chemical that you have to forcibly apply to your unhappy child’s head.Instead saturate your child’s hair with coconut oil then cover it with a shower cap. An hour later rinse with apple cider vinegar. No more lice!
- A little coconut oil mixed with baking soda will give you fresh breath, healthy gums and a beautiful smile, while costing far less than store bought toothpaste.
- Choose coconut oil benefits in place of other cooking oils. It’s a healthier choice and can be heated to higher temperatures before it begins to smoke, a bonus for those of us who are not so domestically inclined.
- If you’re feeling cozy with your partner, coconut oil is a wonderful natural lubricant. Unlike expensive over the counter products it won’t disturb the natural chemical balance of the vagina or leave you feeling greasy afterward. If you’re just in the mood to cuddle it also makes an excellent massage oil.A word of caution, coconut oil is not compatible with latex, so if condoms are your birth control method of choice this may not be for you.
- Coconut oil can help increase your metabolism by converting the fat it contains into energy, helping your burn more calories.Often people on diets find themselves hungry because the low fat content of the foods they’re eating leads to cravings. Adding coconut oil benefits to your diet can make these cravings go away leading to a trimmer, healthier you.
- Coconut oil can protect your baby’s skin without use of any chemicals at all. Parents of a new baby know that diaper rash can be a painful problem. Diaper rash creams often contain many chemicals that are applied directly to your baby’s skin.
- “Cradle cap” is another issue newborn children often face. After spending nine months in the liquid environment of Mom’s womb the outside world can be dry and unforgiving. Instead of baby lotion try coconut oil to give baby chemical free comfort.
- Breastfeeding moms might want to set aside the Vitamin D ointment. Coconut oil is safer and more effective for your nursing child and adding three tablespoons to your daily diet has been shown to enrich your milk supply.
- Coconut oil’s anti-bacterial and anti-viral properties help your body defend against disease and infection. Studies have shown that coconut oil can increase your body’s ability to fight off invading viruses such as influenza, herpes, Hepatitis C and HIV.
- Protect your brain and prevent neurological diseases with coconut oil. Coconut oil contains 65% medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs).The MCTs along with ketone bodies in coconut oil have shown promise in treating diseases including Alzheimer’s disease, diabetes, Parkinson’s disease, Huntington’s disease, ALS (Lou Gehrig’s disease) and drug resistant epilepsy.
- The ketone bodies in coconut oil provide fuel for the brain. When these ketone bodies are metabolized blood flow to the brain increases bring more oxygen with it. This can keep your brain sharp and going strong for many years to come.
- Coconut oil benefits can help inhibit cancer growth. Cancer thrives on a weakened immune system and the Medium Chain Fatty Acids (MCFA) contained in coconut oil have been found to not only boost the immune system but to keep cancer cells from spreading.
Protect Your Skin & Prevent Aging with Coconut Oil Benefits
- A cotton ball dipped in coconut oil will remove makeup without irritating or drying out your skin. You’ll feel fresh and clean without using any chemicals on your face.
- Coconut oil is the perfect moisturizer. It’s absorbed into your skin without clogging your pores and protects you from the effects of acne, eczema and psoriasis.
- Wrinkles, varicose veins and age spots are no fun and can make you look and feel older than you are. Coconut oil can reduce signs of aging when rubbed daily over your problem areas. It will stimulate new skin growth leading to a vibrant new you.
- Dark circles and bags under your eyes? Apply coconut oil around your eyes every night before bed to invigorate the delicate skin in this area and wake up to a more youthful appearance.
- Say goodbye to dry, chapped lips. They’ll be healed and happy soon. Keep your lips moist and supple by applying a layer of coconut oil every day.
- Apply coconut oil to your skin as soon as you get out of the shower, paying special attention to dry areas like your elbows and feet. Blot your skin dry afterwards. You’ll be amazed at how soft your skin becomes.
- Coconut oil works wonders for stretch marks on pregnant moms or mothers who just gave birth. Rub some on your belly every night. The fats in coconut oil are similar to those naturally found in your skin.
- No more razor burn!Apply coconut oil before shaving to lubricate your skin and after to reduce redness and irritation. It’s also absorbed into your body so it helps keep your pores unclogged.
- Coconut oil mixed with sugar or sea salt is the perfect exfoliator. Mix equal parts of organic coconut oil to sugar or fine sea salt and you have a wonderful facial exfoliator or body scrub. Add in essential oils like rose, peppermint or lavender and you’ll have a mix all your own.
- Is your hair hard to manage? Is it curly, coarse or damaged by the sun or products? You can deep condition your hair by massaging coconut oil into it and your scalp, covering it with a shower cap and letting it rejuvenate overnight. Not only will your hair look better, but you’ll save money on expensive salon oil treatments.
- Protect yourself from the chemicals and detergents found in commercial hair care products by rubbing coconut oil benefits into your hair and scalp before shampooing. Your hair will be less dried out and maintain more of its natural luster.
- Use coconut oil after you shampoo as a no rinse conditioner. Apply a small amount applied to the tips of your hair first to prevent split ends, before running the rest through your hair. This will help control frizz and keep your hair silky and manageable.
- Coconut oil applied to bald or thinning areas of the scalp three times a day can reverse hair loss. It will stimulate the scalp and invigorate the hair follicles.
There are many other benefits of coconut oil. You can season your cookware, from your old cast iron skillet to your brand new wooden salad bowls.
Coconut oil benefits can also help improve your pet’s health. It can be added to your pet’s water to give them fresh breath and a sleek coat as well as to prevent some joint disorders. A good rule to follow is ¼ teaspoon for every ten pounds your pet weighs. Apply it directly to irritated places on their skin for soothing relief.
Make sure you check your labels! Refined coconut oils are created by a chemical distillation process and can even contain trans-fats!
Unrefined, extra virgin coconut oil is the way to go. It’s completely organic, non-toxic and you’ll always have a purpose for it.