Why should you drink almond milk? Almond milk is an excellent alternative for anyone that doesn’t like cow’s milk or is lactose intolerant. Pure almond milk is 100% vegan and very simple to make.
If you want to feel like Martha Stewart but don’t have all day to spend in the kitchen, here’s an easy recipe to make your own almond milk.
One cup of unsweetened almond milk contains 1 gram of fiber and protein and only around 30 calories.
Here are 10 fabulous benefits of almond milk and an easy almond milk smoothie recipe to start your morning off right:
Health Benefits of Almond Milk
- No cholesterol reduces the risk of heart disease.
- Helps weight loss only 30 calories per cup.
- No funny stuff. No hormones, no antiobiotics.
- Good source of omega-3 fatty acids.
- Rich in calcium.
- Helps keep your eyes sharp. Rich in Vitamin A,E, & D.
- Gives you glowing skin with help from Vitamin E.
- DIY – see the recipe below.
- 100% Vegan. Free of animal products.
- Lactose free.
Almond Milk Smoothie
How to Make Homemade Almond Milk
Homemade almond milk lasts only a couple of days, so be sure to make what you’ll drink within that time. Also the longer you soak the almonds the creamier the milk will taste. And who doesn’t love rich creaminess?
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 2 cups water
- Optional: vanilla and / or sweeteners such as honey, stevia, raw sugar, or lucuma
What You’ll Need
- Blender or food processor
- Measuring cup or small bowl
- Nut milk mesh bag or fine cheesecloth
How to Make It
- Soak the almonds overnight or up to two days.
- Drain and rinse the almonds. Rinse them thoroughly. They’ll feel a little squishy at this point. That’s a good thing.
- Combine the almonds and two cups of water in a blender.
- Give it a whirl. Blend at the highest speed for two minutes. Blend up to four minutes if using a food processor.
- Strain well. Line the mesh over a measuring cup or small bowl. Gather it up and squeeze well.
- Sweeten to taste.
- Refrigerate your fresh almond milk.
Don’t throw away the almond meal! Waste not, want not, and all that. Use it in a smoothie, mix it in your morning oatmeal, add it to your muffins, or cookies. Enjoy!
Want even more goodness? You may like:
Reverse heart disease with this special sugar...You don’t want to miss the sweet secret to beating the #1 killer in the world.
Discover how to detox and protect the most vital body system you usually ignore…with scientifically proven 10-minute “bio-hacks.”