Why You Should Say Yay to Organic and Say Nay to GMOs
Establishments and government agencies are trying hard to convince you that there’s no benefit to eating organic foods. They’re not more nutritious, mainstream health “experts” argue. That’s simply not true…
First, organic farmers leave the fruit to ripen on the vine which lets the produce develop naturally – fully formed with all their minerals and co-factors intact.
Unfortunately commercial growers tend to pick fruits and vegetables before they are fully ripe so that they can get it to the sellers in good condition. This leaves them with a lot of pith and water, but not as many nutrients. Then, they lose even more nutrients in transit far across the country, and in between countries.
Organic foods come to market sooner, retaining the vitamin and nutrient content.
Second, and the main reason most people want organic foods, is that they are more pure and cleaner, free of the 20 or so pesticides found on much commercial produce, and also free of spray coatings and waxes to make them look good in the store.
Of course, there are also some foods we’re told are perfectly fine when no one knows if that’s really true or not.
By this I mean genetically modified organisms or GMOs.
Now, it’s true that food crops and animals have been altered through selective breeding. But the scope for inserting genetic material is much wider using technological engineering.
For example, did you know that a gene from a fish that lives in very cold seas has been inserted into a strawberry so it will be more frost-tolerant?
Do you want to eat “fishberries” without knowing it?
The government has said they’ve done all the testing and has declared that these GMOs are “substantially equivalent” to the real thing.
That means there are no regulations regarding their use and they don’t have to tell you what products have GMOs in them.
But the American Academy of Environmental Medicine points out, GMO foods have been linked to:
– Weakened immune system
– Accelerated aging
– Genetic problems with cholesterol, insulin control, cell signaling, and protein formation
– Changes in the liver, kidney, spleen and gastrointestinal system
These Franken-foods may be “substantially equivalent,” but the research shows they’re substantially more dangerous, too.
Our Top 5 Genetically Modified Food List to Avoid
But because there’s no testing and no regulations on where GM foods can and can’t be used, there’s almost no way to give you a full list of all GM food you might encounter.
However, here is Daily Superfood Love’s top 5 genetically modified food list that are the most prevalent foods to avoid.
- Rapeseed –You might know it better as the pleasant-sounding “canola oil.” But there’s nothing pleasant about canola. It can cause liver problems and loss of thyroid function in animals that get it in their feed. And processing the seed with high heat increases the levels of dangerous trans fat, and lowers levels of the good fat erucic acid, removing any benefit from this relative of mustard.
- Soybean –This is a staple food in the far East…where they ferment it and make many different iterations…but from natural soy. In the US, it’s genetically modified to resist weedkiller, and then chemically processed with petroleum by-products and fed to you in almost every processed food you can buy.
- Tomatoes –Genetically altered to last longer on store shelves and to prevent a substance that causes tomatoes to rot and degrade.
- Corn – It’s created to be resistant to pesticides. Most sweeteners have GM corn…snack foods, baked goods, fried foods, edible oil products, confectionery, special purpose foods, and sodas.
- Sweet corn –Monsanto says that half of the USA’s sweet corn is genetically modified. And even though it’s only supposed to be used for animal feed, government officials have said that thousands of tons of GM sweet corn have made their way into the human food supply chain.
Other GM crops are potatoes, flax, papaya, squash, peas and many more.
Keep reading one of our other articles on a related topics – 6 Easy Ways to Avoid GMO’s here!