Nobody likes to discuss how to get rid of bloating and gas. In western societies, we are brought up to believe it is impolite to fart or pass gas.
Stop your giggling right now. This is serious.
When the pain and discomfort of bloating becomes too much to ignore, you need natural effective remedies that can relieve bloating immediately.
Bloating often produces uncomfortable stomach churning, rumbling noises, pain, and gas. Like my grandma always says, “If you’ve got gas, let it pass.” As it turns out Grandma is always right.
Science agrees that holding in gas is just plain bad for your health.
If you suffer from bloating and you do not expel the trapped gas, it could explode in the intestinal wall and create pockets call diverticula. Fecal matter trapped in these pockets can create a painful and serious condition called diverticulitis.
If you tend to hold in gas, do not! Let it out immediately.
Digestion begins in your small intestine. As it continues, the remaining food particles arrive in the large intestine, and then your stomach flora (bacteria) finishes the digestion process.
It’s at the end of this process that the bacteria begin to release gas, which gives you that swollen feeling, and makes your pants feel too tight.
Common causes of gas and stomach bloating:
- Swallowing air
- Increased intake of high fiber foods (whole grains, beans, and oats)
- An overgrowth of bacteria (candida and yeast)
- Eating too fast
- Sugar substitutes (fructose and sorbitol)
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Dairy products
- Fatty and / or fried foods
- Overuse of antibiotics (strips out good stomach bacteria)
- Frequent gum chewing
Can Bloating Create Back Pain?
If you notice that you tend to eat more often and afterwards your stomach feels full and heavy, followed by pain in your lower back – it could be a symptom of IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome).
The symptoms may appear for a while and then disappear.
It could also be a symptom of a food allergy, urinary tract infection, or an ulcer. If you are experiencing any of these issues then talk to your health care practitioner.
How to Get Rid of Bloating In Five Easy Ways
These carminative foods (foods that aid digestion) can help get rid of bloating, relax your stomach, and relieve gas. Just grab a small pot and you are halfway there:
1. Licorice Root Infusion: Use one teaspoon of chopped licorice root per one cup of water. Simmer for ten minutes and add orange peel or cinnamon. Strain and serve sweeten with honey if desired.
Licorice root is also used to treat stomach ulcers, sore throat, canker sores, and coughs. It may help with acid reflux and even lower body fat.
2. Holy Basil or Tulsi Tea: Bring two cups of water to a gentle simmer, add two teaspoons of chopped fresh holy basil (tulsi), or one teaspoon dried tulsi leaves, and steep for five minutes or up to 15 minutes covered. Strain and serve sweeten with honey if desired.
Tulsi also seems to alter brain chemistry the same way antidepressant medications work and can provide stress relief benefits. Double bonus! Soothe your stomach and calm your mind.
3. No More Bloat Rosemary Tea: Bring two cups of water to a gentle simmer, add two fresh rosemary stalks, and steep up to five minutes covered. Strain and serve sweeten with honey if desired.
You can also experiment with basil, bergamot, peppermint, sage, cloves, dill, caraway, or thyme. (All of these herbs contain high concentrations of bloat and gas relieving substances.)
4. Tummy Relieving Chai Tea: Grate two parts fresh ginger root, Combine dry herbs separately and add in one part of each allspice, anise, cardamom, coriander, cinnamon, and fennel seed. Add two tablespoons of the dried herb mixture and grated ginger in two cups of water and simmer for 30 minutes minimum. Strain and serve (add a splash of coconut milk or honey to sweeten if desired.)
5. Fennel & Pomegranate Seeds: Combine 1 teaspoon of each, plus one teaspoon of raw sugar (optional), chew well, and swallow. Take up two times a day.
Try these delicious herbal remedies that will help you get rid of bloating before you reach for a bottle of the pink stuff.