Listen to the podcast:
Coconut oil is our favorite superfood, hands down! It is one of the most nutritionally dense superfoods known to man with hundreds of uses and health benefits.
One of the reasons it’s so special is that it’s a natural antimicrobial food.
The healing properties of coconut oil go above and beyond basic nutritional value. Coconut oil can stimulate immune function, increase resistance to infection, and destroy deadly pathogenic microorganisms.
These properties make coconut oil the perfect choice to fight against harmful oral bacteria responsible for tooth decay.
Two components that make coconut oil an antimicrobial food:
- Lauric Acid: coconut oil contains the highest concentration of lauric acid. More than any other substance on earth (about 50%). Your body uses this acid to destroy lipid-coated viruses such as HIV, herpes, influenza, measles, gram-negative bacteria and protozoa such as giardia lamblia.
- Capric Acid: a medium chain fatty acid found in saturated fats and abundant in coconut oil. Capric acid is a strong antiviral and antimicrobial. When ingested it converts into monocaprin in the body where it can help combat viruses, bacterial and yeast. It’s also used as a denture disinfectant.
Billions of bacteria, viruses and fungi swarm in our mouths. These bacteria produce toxins as by-products, which cause inflammation, weaken tooth enamel, and irritate gums. An overgrowth of dental bacteria can lead to bigger dental problems such as tooth decay and gum disease… and eventually tooth loss.
Start protecting your teeth with oil pulling with coconut oil…
Oil Pulling with Coconut Oil For Good Oral Health
Eating a diet rich in fresh organic veggies, nuts and grass-fed meats is one key to oral health. However it might not be enough to guarantee perfect oral health.
We have found the technique of oil pulling with coconut oil useful in reducing plaque. Oil pulling has been used for thousands of years an Indian folk remedy.
The bacteria in your mouth can create a film on your teeth that adheres to the surface of your teeth, which is known as “plaque.” Plaque is normal but you don’t want it get out of hand. Excess plaque once harden is tartar buildup. Tartar can’t be brushed away and it contributes to gum disease.
You can remove a large amount of bacteria and plaque in your mouth by trying this daily oil pulling technique using coconut oil. Give it a try… it’s super simple, and very effective.
- Put about a tablespoon of coconut oil in your mouth (you may have to chew on the oil for a few seconds for it to melt)
- Swish the oil in your mouth for about 10-20 minutes (don’t swallow it! The oil is full of toxins)
- Spit the oil out and brush your teeth.
Quick tip: To save time, try doing it in the shower in the morning on an empty stomach. We recommend spitting out the oil in a trash can, you could clog your pipes if you spit the oil down the drain.
When doing oil pulling with coconut oil, we have noticed fresher breath, a bright white smile, and healthier gums. Teeth are meant to last a lifetime so make sure to take care of them and add this easy oral health technique to your daily routine!
Keep reading for 27 more astounding uses of coconut oil.
Want even more goodness? You may like:
Reverse heart disease with this special sugar...You don’t want to miss the sweet secret to beating the #1 killer in the world.
Discover how to detox and protect the most vital body system you usually ignore…with scientifically proven 10-minute “bio-hacks.”