There are hundreds of products on the shelf to “improve” the appearance of your skin. Most of them are pricey, are filled with ingredients you can’t pronounce (and probably shouldn’t be putting on your skin), and the results they provide are iffy at best.
Learning how to get healthy skin does not have to stress you out. Besides, stress causes wrinkles, rapid aging, and acne!
Here at Daily Superfood Love, we like to find natural alternatives that won’t break the bank, have no harmful side effects, and give you the results you want. We try natural products all the time, make notes about them, and put together a list of our favorites.
What’s truly amazing about these seven superfoods for healthy skin is that you can try them, decide which ones you love, and you won’t go broke during your own “product trials” in the comfort of your own home.
Most of the items on our list are available at your local big box store but if you have trouble finding them there, check the nearest health food supplier.
7 Superfoods to Get Healthy Skin Naturally
•Argan Oil: As a dry oil – meaning it doesn’t leave a greasy film behind – argan oil is ideal as a nightly moisturizer. It hydrates, tones, and moisturizes with little effort. Adding a bit to finely ground organic sugar makes a rejuvenating scrub that will remove the layers of dead skin, leaving fresh, supple skin behind.
Much like coconut oil (though a little more expensive), argan oil can be used all over the body – from your hair to face to nails to feet – as a moisturizer that your skin loves to absorb.
• Sea Buckthorn Oil: The sea buckthorn plant is the only one known to contain omega-3, omega-6, omega-7, and omega-9 making it a powerhouse of fatty acids and unbelievably good for your skin.
It is naturally antibacterial, anti-microbial, and anti-inflammatory which makes it an incredible topical application for acne, scarring, and anti-aging. It has shown great promise in the treatment of the redness and bumps related to rosacea.
• Pineapple: Bromelain and vitamin C make pineapple a great choice for external application to your skin and internal nourishment. It has been shown to clear up your complexion, increase flexibility of the skin, and make skin suppler to the touch.
Cut a pineapple in half, eating or juicing the pulp, and rubbing the inside of the skin on your face. Allow to sit for a few minutes then rinse with cool water. Use the other half of the pineapple a few days later. This method works on your entire body so try it in the shower!
• Aronia Berries: These little berries are brimming with more antioxidant content than blueberries or acai berries and are currently taking the health food world by storm. Also called chokeberries, aronias can replace other berries in your favorite recipes or natural beauty remedies.
• Meadowfoam Seed Oil: Since 98% of meadowfoam seed oil’s composition is long-chain fatty acids, it is excellent for those areas of your face, neck, and hands that tend to “sag” as we age. It forms a natural moisture barrier that prevents your skin from losing much-needed hydration. It is a stable and inexpensive oil (a little goes a long way) that is an ideal ingredient for your natural beauty recipes.
• Aloe Vera: An oldie but a goodie, aloe vera is most well known here in the United States as a way to soothe sunburn. Part of the cactus family, aloe vera has had a place in the practice of ancient medicine for hundreds of years. Used as a natural moisturizer or after-shave, the gel from the aloe replenishes moisture, eases redness, and lowers inflammation without leaving your skin feeling greasy.
Packed with plant hormones and antioxidants, it delivers the goods for a fraction of the cost of your favorite moisturizer or anti-wrinkle cream. Fresh is best but you can find the organic “gel” bottled at your local store. Look for 100% aloe vera.
• Coconut Oil: We talk endlessly about coconut oil here at Daily Superfood Love because this natural, inexpensive oil is practically a miracle worker! Adding a bit of coconut oil to fine coconut sugar will give you a facial (and all-over body) scrub that will leave you feeling younger, firmer, and ready to conquer the world.
You can apply it liberally to your face before bed and by morning, only soft and supple skin is left behind. No greasy feeling and skin that is soft as a baby’s. It is excellent as a leave-in conditioner for your hair (especially after coloring or other intense treatments), helps fight winter chafed skin, and will soften the dry skin of your feet if applied heavily and you wear socks for a few hours. Head to toe, few things have made us as happy, as consistently, as coconut oil.
No article about skin health would be complete without our favorite superfoods that feed your skin and make it glow simply by adding it to your daily diet. Mix them up, add them a little at a time, and watch how amazing your skin looks and feels.
Not only that, what’s so fantastic about using nutrition for natural beauty health is that it benefits every cell in your body! Delicious, nutritious, and leaves you feeling like a million bucks (without denting your wallet).
Top 12 Foods to Nourish Your Skin from the Inside Out
- Almond Milk
- Fatty Fish
- Seeds and Nuts
- Olive Oil
- Dark Chocolate
- Green Tea
Try a variety from these lists and tell us what you think! Our personal favorite is almost always coconut oil (there are so many uses for it, after all) but we had positive results from the others as well.
Getting healthy skin doesn’t have to be as complicated (or expensive) as mainstream media tries to sell. The best solutions are usually the natural ones.
What’s your natural beauty regimen?
Want even more goodness? You may like:
Reverse heart disease with this special sugar...You don’t want to miss the sweet secret to beating the #1 killer in the world.
Discover how to detox and protect the most vital body system you usually ignore…with scientifically proven 10-minute “bio-hacks.”