“Magnesium is the most important mineral in the body,” explains Dr. Carolyn Dean, MD, ND.1
Magnesium is directly involved in over 300 metabolic processes in the body.2
Magnesium is needed by every cell in the body. Magnesium is essential for the health of our bones, muscles, joints, and teeth. The highest amount of magnesium is found in the heart, with magnesium vital to heart-health.3
The problem is that as many as 80% of Americans are deficient in magnesium. If you are experiencing more than one of these symptoms, you may be deficient in magnesium:4,5,6
- Calcium deficiency
- Heart problems
- Muscle cramps
- High blood pressure
- Type 2 diabetes
- Respiratory issues
- Potassium deficiency
- Difficulty swallowing
- Poor memory
- Headaches & migraines
- Body odor
- Poor dental health
- Kidney stones
- Gut disorders
- Abnormal heart rhythm
- Low energy
- Hormonal imbalances
We are lacking in this essential mineral for several reasons:
- Modern farming methods have depleted magnesium from the soil.7
- Our drinking water has had the minerals filtered out of it.
- Processed foods are lacking in magnesium.
- Calcium supplementation depletes magnesium from the body, because the body requires magnesium to process calcium.8
- Nearly every prescription drug causes magnesium deficiency.9
- High consumption of caffeine, alcohol and sugar deplete magnesium.
- Stress and lack of sleep lower our magnesium levels.10
The best and most natural way to obtain and absorb the magnesium we need is through our food. But our food today contains inadequate amounts of magnesium. At the turn of the 20th Century, the average American consumed about 500 mg of magnesium in their food and water. Today, we’re lucky if we get 200 mg from those sources!11 So we need to supplement with this crucial mineral.
However, trying to supplement magnesium with pills and powders can be a challenge. Only 4 to 20% of the precious mineral will be absorbed,12 due to its passage through the digestive system before reaching the bloodstream.13
What’s the solution? Magnesium oil applied to the skin is an effective way to get magnesium into the bloodstream quickly and efficiently. Magnesium oil, made with magnesium chloride and water feels oily, but contains no oil.14
Magnesium oil is very versatile in its applications. Get the benefits of magnesium oil by using it:
- Transdermally—by rubbing it into the skin where you are experiencing muscle cramps or spasms. It’s oily feel makes it a great massage medium.
- As a spray to broadcast over specific areas of your body.
- In a bath, or foot bath for widespread absorption and therapeutic value. (Epsom salts consist of magnesium sulfate and are commonly used for this purpose.)
- As a nebulizer for the lungs.15
Supplementing with magnesium can improve sleep, eliminate muscle cramps and twitches, relieve stress, stabilize heart rate and arrhythmia, lower cholesterol, lower blood sugar, improve mood and help with many more ailments.16
Absorption is affected by the concentration of the magnesium oil, the surface area of the body on which it is applied, and the length of time it’s allowed to absorb.17
Magnesium supplements and magnesium oil are readily available from several reputable sources. If you would rather make your own magnesium oil, here is a recipe from Wellness Mama®:18
- ½ cup magnesium chloride flakes
- ½ cup distilled water (to extend the shelf-life of the magnesium oil)
- Bring the distilled water to a boil.
- Place the magnesium chloride flakes in a glass bowl and pour the boiled water over it and mix until dissolved. Keeps for six months at room temperature.
Chances are you’re among the 80% of our population with a magnesium deficiency. This mineral is vital for your health and well-being. Supplementing with magnesium is fairly simple and inexpensive. Because of its high absorption rate, the benefits of magnesium oil is a great option for increasing your intake of this essential mineral.
Choose one or more ways you can begin to supplement with magnesium and begin to experience its amazing benefits!
Joe is the founder of Barton Publishing, Inc., a leading natural health company that empowers people to experience vibrant amazing health through natural healing remedies. His publishing company helps hundreds of thousands of people who suffer from acid reflux, diabetes, high blood pressure, gout, and 20+ other disease and ailments enjoy healthier lives. He is also a contributing writer that shows people how to cure and treat themselves using safe, natural, and proven remedies.
1. Dr. Carolyn Dean, MD, ND, “Dr. Carolyn Dean Discusses the Importance of Magnesium,” Dr. Mercola, “The Missing Link to Better Health,” December 8, 2013, http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/12/08/magnesium-health-benefits.aspx.
2. National Institutes of Health, “Magnesium,” nd, http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Magnesium-HealthProfessional/.
3. Dr. Carolyn Dean, MD, ND.
4. Paul Fassa, “16 Magnesium Deficiency Symptoms – Signs of Low Magnesium Levels,” Natural Society, April 1, 2013, http://naturalsociety.com/16-magnesium-deficiency-symptoms-signs-low-levels/.
5. Wellness Mama, “Are You Low on Magnesium,” 2012, http://wellnessmama.com/3610/magnesium-deficiency/.
6. Dr. Mark Sircus, “Magnesium Deficiency Symptoms and Diagnosis,” GreenMedInfo, May 20, 2013, http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/magnesium-deficiency-symptoms-and-diagnosis.
8. Ancient Minerals, “Causes of a Lack of Magnesium,” nd, http://www.ancient-minerals.com/magnesium-deficiency/causes-depletion/.
9. Dr. Carolyn Dean, MD, ND.
10. Wellness Mama.
11. Dr. Carolyn Dean, MD, ND.
12. Dr. Carolyn Dean, MD, ND.
13. Dr. Mark Sircus, “How to Use Magnesium Oil,” August 26, 2014, http://drsircus.com/medicine/magnesium/use-magnesium-oil.
14. Dr. Mark Sircus, “How to Use Magnesium Oil.”
15. Dr. Mark Sircus, “How to Use Magnesium Oil.”
16. Carolyn Dean, MD, ND, The Magnesium Miracle, New York: Ballantine Books eBook Edition, 2014, Introduction.
17. Dr. Mark Sircus, “How to Use Magnesium Oil.”
18. Wellness Mama, “How to Make Your Own Magnesium Oil,” nd, http://wellnessmama.com/5804/make-your-own-magnesium-oil/.