Most people associate the scent of lemon with “clean” and “fresh.” Lemon essential oil can be used for a multitude of applications that you’re going to love!
Lemon essential oil is naturally…
How is Lemon Essential Oil Produced?
It takes almost 3,000 lemons to make 36 ounces of lemon oil!It is primarily produced through cold pressing (an excellent method that provides higher potency and longer shelf life). The lemons are placed in a holding container with a lid that is covered in spikes. When the lid is closed, the spikes pierce the rind, release the oil, and press it out into a secondary holding container. The fruit is spun in a centrifuge that ensures all possible oil is extracted.
Making sure you get a quality lemon essential oil is critical to effectiveness. You want to search for therapeutic grade, completely organic (without use of pesticides) lemon oil from a manufacturer who uses the best lemons and stands behind their product.
Botanically known as Citrus lemon, oils created from the cheerful lemon utilize the abundant compound it contains called d-limonene, a terpene in the rind that gives lemons their distinctive smell and taste.
More than 68% of a lemon is d-limonene and it is an incredibly powerful antioxidant. Lemons have been used medicinally and in beauty care for thousands of years. D-Limonene has been tested and proven to:
- Provide relief of heart burn and gastroesophageal reflux (GERD)
- Chemopreventative activity against breast, colorectal, and other types of cancer
- Cancer treatment by inducing cell death or apoptosis in cancerous cells
You use essential oils in one of three ways:
- Aromatherapy is diffusing essential oils into the air through heat or steam.
- Massage uses a carrier oil (such as almond or coconut oil) to dilute and apply the essential oil directly to the skin for fast absorption into the blood stream.
- Drink essential oils in tea using a small dose once per day – less than three drops per cup – for help with digestion issues or other physical ailments.
Not all essential oils are safe for consumption! Lemon oil is edible in very small amounts but massage or aromatherapy are safer (and generally more effective) options.
7 Incredible Uses for Lemon Essential Oil
1. Fight fungus and infection. Researchers discovered that lemon oil is effective in treating Candida (yeast), which causes problems in your digestive system.
If you maintain healthy gut flora, Candida is unable to get out of control. However, the overuse of antibacterial products, prescription medicines, and lack of fermented foods in our daily diets has tipped the balance between “good” and “bad” gut flora. Experts estimate that more than 40 million people in the United States are infected with Candida.
Lemon essential oil has also shown great promise in treating athlete’s foot and other antibiotic resistant bacterial strains that lead to staph infection. Dilute with a carrier oil (50:50) and massage into the skin of your abdomen.
2. Ease irritation of bites, stings, or sores. Mix two drops of lemon oil with equal parts of a carrier oil, blend well, and apply to affected area with a cotton swab for relief from itching and pain. Repeat as necessary.
Gently massage lemon oil with a carrier oil into areas where you have varicose veins for improvement in appearance. Always massage in the direction of your heart.
3. Reduce anxiety and stress. One study found that the use of lemon essential oil through aromatherapy lowered the levels of cortisone in participants.
Lowering levels of the stress hormone helps to relieve inflammation and chronic pain. Another way to get the benefits is using a drop in a carrier oil and rubbing it on your temples or through your hair.
Several studies showed that lemon oil (mixed with a carrier oil) and applied to the neck and shoulders improved concentration and raised energy levels in participants.
4. Improve heart health. Using lemon oil in massage therapy, aromatherapy, or in tea may help to improve blood pressure and prevent atherosclerosis (hardening of the arteries). There is no doubt that it will lower stress and the resulting lower inflammation is proven to improve cardiovascular health.
Controlling your body weight is also critical to your heart. A study published in Experimental Biology and Medicine found that a drop of lemon essential oil in water helped participants to boost fat metabolism. This application of the oil is still being studied but it makes sense. Additionally, the oil is beneficial when ingested in small amounts.
5. Take impurities out of the air you breathe. Diffusing lemon oil into a room after cleaning kills unseen bacteria that may be left behind. This is especially helpful after illness, if you suffer from allergy sensitivity, or experience chronic respiratory issues.
6. Get better, faster. While sick, massage equal parts lemon oil and carrier oil into the feet, chest, and abdomen. It improves circulation, lowers fever, and kills lingering germs.
If your illness is concentrated in your head and throat, add two drops of lemon oil to warm salt water and gargle (don’t swallow). Adding two drops of lemon oil to coconut oil before daily oil pulling will offer another layer of detoxification to the ancient practice and leave your mouth feeling fantastic!
7. Boost your mood and energy naturally. If you suffer from periods of depression or feel a severe drop in mood after childbirth, a personal loss, or traumatic experience, lemon oil may be able to help. The Psychoneuroendocrinology journal published a study that found it effective in improving mood.
Add several drops to a warm bath and soak, breathing deeply, until the water begins to cool. A well-placed drop beneath your shirt collar will enable you take the calming effect with you.
Diffuse it through your living space by adding a single drop to lightbulbs. When you change your sheets and pillowcases, add several drops to the bare mattress and another to your pillow before putting the new linens in place.
For an entire house, bring a pot of water to boil (4 cups), turn it to low, add several drops of lemon essential oil, and allow it to steam for several hours. Put three drops on a washcloth and add to your drying laundry.
Other Uses You’ll Love
If you have issues drinking tap water – or your water isn’t “safe” to drink – stir one drop of lemon essential oil into a glass of water, let it sit for at least 5 minutes, and drink. Not only will it purify the water, it will help improve energy levels, aid in overall digestion, prevent kidney stones, and kill unknown germs or parasites that might be trying to make you sick.
An exciting study was published in Psychogeriatrics, a journal focused on the health and well-being of the elderly. Scientists saw cognitive improvement in Alzheimer’s patients who were exposed to lemon oil through aromatherapy.
Caution with Use of Essential Oils
When using lemon oil, it is important to use some form of dilution – such as a carrier oil (coconut oil is our favorite) or water – to prevent irritation to your skin.
When you eat a slice of lemon, the burning sensation against your lips is the result of one lemon, which is not as potent as the compounds extracted from thousands of lemons to produce oils. In addition, if you use lemon essential oil for skin care, you need to exercise extra caution in regards to sun exposure. It increases photosensitivity for 12 hours or more.
Avoid getting the oil in your eyes, nose, mouth, or an open cut – it will burn as badly as squirting lemon juice in your eye! Flush with cool water until the burning sensation eases.
Essential oils can be dangerous for cats who are not able to process them the way humans and dogs do. Don’t use the oils in places your cat touches frequently.
Essential oils are concentrated and highly effective extracts of botanicals found in nature. A small skin patch test is the best way to determine your personal sensitivity and is highly recommended before use.
Essential Oils – Finally Getting the Recognition They Deserve
There are so many amazing properties of essential oils that are being examined by researchers all over the world. They are (finally) realizing that natural medicine can be both beneficial and helpful when used in conjunction with traditional medicine.
Adding essential oils to your daily life will improve your health and lift your mood in ways that will amaze you.
Want even more goodness? You may like:
Reverse heart disease with this special sugar...You don’t want to miss the sweet secret to beating the #1 killer in the world.
Discover how to detox and protect the most vital body system you usually ignore…with scientifically proven 10-minute “bio-hacks.”