To say that it’s difficult to stay healthy with our overscheduled lives and poor food choices on every corner is an understatement. Drive-thru restaurants make it easy to get cheap, fast food without even having to get out of your car.
Now more than ever, it is critical that you maintain the health of your metabolic systems. There are worldwide pandemics of obesity, diabetes, heart disease, cancer, neurodegenerative diseases, and more autoimmune disorders than ever in mankind’s history.
Our hormones are messed up. Our bodies are breaking down at the cellular level.
Far too many people in the United States are overweight or obese. Roughly two-thirds of adults and the numbers of overweight and obese children are climbing rapidly. Obesity is listed as a major risk factor in every major disease and it is expected to get worse before it gets better.
We’re doing it wrong.
With more than 40% of the workforce sitting for 8-10 hours every day, sedentary lifestyle habits, and eating too much of all the worst things is killing us. Rather quickly, in fact.
There is no time to waste.
If we don’t make drastic changes to how we eat, how much we eat, and what we do when we aren’t eating, the dire statistics are going to continue to spin out of control. We have to get our lives back on track and take as many people with us as we can.
You can use foods to boost metabolism. Clean, healthy food can change your body from the inside out and give you a longer, stronger life.
It’s true. You can stop the downward spiral right now. I did it, I’m still doing it. It isn’t easy.
Some days, I want a greasy burger and fries and once in a while, I let myself have it. I’ve been eating clean for so long now that even though the part of my brain – that says, “Yes, let’s eat that.” My body isn’t happy when I do. So unhappy that it reminds me not to do it again for a long while.
It took me a lot to get to this place. I struggled, I cried, and there were times I didn’t think it was worth it or even possible. There were times I slid backwards and beat myself up until I got it together again.
I still mess up. I’m not perfect.
However, I know that 90% of the time, I choose the foods that boost metabolism rather than sabotage it. I feel the difference in my body, my mind, and my spirit. You will, too. All you have to do is take the first step.
7 Foods to Boost Metabolism Naturally
1. Water is the easiest way to jump start your body processes and keep all your systems functioning at peak. It is the fastest way to help flush toxins, nourish your cells, wake you up, and keep you energized all day. I love adding a squeeze of lemon, lime, or grapefruit for an extra nutritional bump. It is a natural way to curb appetite since most of your “hunger” cravings are actually “thirst” – your body’s way of saying, “I need water.”
2. Spicy peppers contain a compound called capsaicin that has been proven to boost metabolic function, help you beat cravings, and help with pain control. At first, I struggled with the heat until I realized that if I blended a single jalapeno or habanero into a soup sauce or marinade, it dulled the heat a bit so I could eat it.
3. Fish high in omega-3s are a good way to lower your body’s production of leptin (the hunger hormone). It’s also amazing for your heart and brain. My favorite source is Brussel sprouts or wild caught salmon but krill oil, nuts, beef, tuna, and flaxseeds are also fantastic options to raise your consumption of this essential nutrient.
4. Citrus is an age-old food to boost metabolism. You don’t need some crazy grapefruit diet but consider adding more fresh citrus to your eating plan. Many studies have found that they help to burn more fat and control blood sugar. They also taste delicious!
5. Green tea has been around for thousands of years in Asian culture. We in the United States are a little late to the party. In one study, women who drank 2 cups of green tea every day lost 12% more weight over the course of the trial than women who did not drink the tea. Nothing else was changed about their diet or lifestyle. It has incredible health benefits for the heart, immune system, and mood as well as being an anti-cancer food.
6. Calcium rich foods are the way to go if you’re looking to lose weight. It has the ability to double your fat-burning potential. Don’t opt for cow’s milk to get your daily requirement of this critical vitamin. Instead, get it from sources that are more readily absorbed by the body. Sardines, Greek yogurt, greens, and spinach are better choices (and far more versatile).
7. Spices never cease to amaze me with their therapeutic benefits. Eating more cinnamon, turmeric, cayenne, ginger, and so many more is an excellent way to boost your metabolism with food. They are readily available, easy to use, and bring powerful antioxidants to every bite. I have a full spice rack and I use them liberally. Garlic is probably my most used spice but I’m not picky. I mix things up to keep things interesting.
By raising your metabolism, it helps your body run more efficiently. I employ other little “tricks” to accomplish this that you should try yourself.
7 Tricks to Boost Your Metabolism Right Now
- I always make the house colder at night when I’m sleeping. Research from the Center for Chronobiology in Switzerland shows that by reducing your core temperature activates your sleep mode systems and may even help boost calories burned.
- I work to minimize my stress.
- I try (and succeed most of the time) to get eight hours of sleep every night.
- Due to the fact that I sit most of the day, I stand whenever possible. If I’m on the phone, making a list, or eating a meal during the daytime, I stand up at my counter to do it.
- I don’t eat processed grains or sugar and keep the healthier sugar down as well.
- I choose organic to lower my intake of toxins and bacteria.
- I avoid fad diets with quick results that aren’t sustainable long term.
It’s a process and it starts with your commitment to yourself, your health, and your future. You can do it. It isn’t always easy but I’m living proof that it is absolutely worth it.