I’m in love with the benefits of lavender essential oil. A few months ago, I bought a cold diffuser and I use lavender in it throughout my work day (and often when I sleep at night). The scent is lovely, without a doubt, but it is so much more than a “pretty” smell while I work or sleep.
There’s a reason it’s the number one essential oil used around the globe. Over two millennia ago, Egyptians and Romans mentioned it in their writing as a perfume, in their religious rites, in food preparation, and medicinally.
How can you use the benefits of lavender essential oil in your modern life? I think you’ll be amazed at how many uses this ancient oil has for you!
20 Ways 21Lavender Oil Can Change Your Life!
1. Mood Booster: The most well known aspect of using lavender is the calming effect it has on your mind. In several studies, lavender has shown to improve the symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), anxiety, dementia, and depression. There are no addictive qualities to lavender and it doesn’t have the terrifying range of side effects found in pharmaceutical drugs used to treat these conditions.
2. Improve Concentration: Lavender promotes a settled nervous system and removes tension and anxiety that limits your ability to focus.
3. Ease Panic Attacks: Acute stress can come from many sources. An upcoming job interview, a meeting, public speaking, familial confrontations, or memories that surface from past experiences. Rubbing a bit of lavender on the insides of your wrists and behind your ears may help settle your mind and ease you past the worst of it.
4. Sleep Aid: Several studies have proven that lavender oil is an excellent method to improve the overall quality of your sleep. Fall asleep faster, sleep more deeply, and get some extra sleep time by diffusing lavender into the room or rubbing it into your temples and chest before you lie down. It is one of the most effective natural remedies for insomnia.
5. Calm Little Ones: Getting small children in a routine at bedtime will get them into a lifetime habit of calm, quality sleep. Adding a drop of lavender essential oil to a pillow or stuffed animal (allow to dry) promotes soothing sleep and a relaxed mind.
6. Allergy Soothing: Adding a drop of lavender or peppermint to a bit of coconut oil and rubbing it around your ears, nose, and along your throat helps to lower bacteria exposure, lower inflammation of the soft tissues, and ease symptoms of allergens.
7. Improve Respiration: One of the benefits of lavender essential oil is that it improves the symptoms of asthma, bronchitis, and other lung conditions. Relaxing the muscles of the throat, sinuses, and airways helps to improve breathing.
8. Blood Sugar Regulator: In one 2014 study, researchers from Tunisia discovered that lavender essential oil benefited the body by protecting it from blood glucose elevation, improved fat metabolism, and prevented a drop in liver and kidney antioxidants.
9. Antioxidant Advocate: Lavender actually stimulates your body to produce more glutathione, catalase, and superoxide dismutase (SOD). These antioxidants are powerful free radical fighters and upping their production is excellent for your entire body!
10. Headache Reliever: Headaches are one of the most common disorders of the central nervous system in the world according to the World Health Organization (WHO). The European Journal of Neurology published research that confirmed lavender’s ability to lower pain after 15 minutes of inhalation. It is also effective when mixed with equal parts peppermint oil and gently massaged into the temples, behind the ears, and the back of the neck.
11. Naturally Antibacterial: The proven antibacterial, antiseptic, and antimicrobial benefits of lavender essential oil make it an excellent choice for minor cuts, scrapes, insect bites, and burns. Add to a carrier oil and apply to the area of irritated skin. Basic wound care and prevention of infection are some of the oldest references to lavender by ancient civilizations.
12. Bruise Healing: Rubbing a few drops on sore muscles or bruised areas helps to promote blood flow and accelerate your body’s healing process.
13. Skin Health: Mixing ten drops of lavender essential oil with an ounce of carrier oil (such as almond or coconut) is great for your skin! In several studies, it has lessened the symptoms of acne, psoriasis, dermatitis, and eczema. It helps to soothe, disinfect (without harsh chemicals), prevent dryness, and protect your skin from scarring.
14. Lip Therapy: This oil is so effective but gentle that it can even be used on the skin of your lips. After too much sun exposure or chapped lips due to wind or cold, add two drops of lavender to coconut oil and smooth over the skin. Repeat throughout the day. It’s also a great choice before you expose your fragile skin to the elements!
15. Non-Toxic Deodorant: Over the counter deodorants are filled with all sorts of toxins like parabens and aluminum. If you’re especially sensitive and have been searching for a natural option, consider rubbing a bit of lavender essential oil under your arms. It kills fungus and bacteria that lead to body odor and has a lovely, clean scent.
HOME, WORK, & PLAY
16. Insect Repellent: You know the scary stuff they put in over the counter insect repellents. Instead of going for toxic chemicals, mix ten drops of lavender essential oil with coconut oil and rub into your skin for a natural option with a built-in SPF 4 sun protection. If you need a faster application method, pour twenty drops of lavender into an 8 ounce bottle of purified water and spritz away!
17. Lavender Dryer Sheets: Add a few drops of oil to a clean washcloth or sock (you know the dryer always leaves one lonely sock without a match). It’s a great alternative to chemical dryer sheets and makes your laundry smell wonderful.
18. Heighten Flavor: Adding a couple of drops of lavender to dessert recipes, baked goods, and salad dressings has the potential to boost flavor in a unique way. Do a few tests to determine what you enjoy!
19. Clean Water Features: If you have a water feature or fountain in your home, adding lavender helps to kill bacteria that promote mold while adding a refreshing scent.
20. Lavender Bath: Nothing will settle your mind, relax your body, and inspire feelings of peace and wellness like a long soak in your tub. Warm water, a few drops of lavender essential oil, and soft lighting or music can change your entire outlook! Afterward, you’ll sleep like a baby.
Bonus: Our Favorite it Makes the Perfect Gift: Adding the lavender essential oil benefits to pure (unscented) bath salts is lovely for personal use and to wrap for others as presents. Sprinkle the oil over the salts, allow to dry, and put in decorative jars.
Precautions to Consider
Only use therapeutic grade essential oils. There should be no other additives in the bottle.
There isn’t much research about the ingestion of lavender essential oil by pregnant women, nursing mothers, and children. It should be avoided to be safe.
A single drop in 16 ounces of water is well tolerated by people of average health.
Essential oils should never be used in plastic – glass only – and if you experience indigestion, use more water to dilute. If you don’t experience the rare side effect of heartburn, you can also add a drop to your favorite glass of tea.
The benefits of lavender essential oil are best when used with a carrier oil such as coconut, almond, and jojoba.
If you haven’t tried the world of essential oils (there are so many wonderful ones), now is the perfect time!
Schulman, J. (2012, August 7). 50 Uses for Essential Lavender Oil – around the home and for the family. JenniferSchulman.com.
Teja, R. (2015, October 16). 20 Best Benefits Of Lavender For Skin, Hair And Health. StyleCraze.
Turner, A. (2013, February 21). 13 Uses For Lavender Oil: The Only Essential Oil You’ll Need. MindBodyGreen.
Fact Sheet: Headache disorders. (October 2012). World Health Organization.
Want even more goodness? You may like:
Reverse heart disease with this special sugar...You don’t want to miss the sweet secret to beating the #1 killer in the world.
Discover how to detox and protect the most vital body system you usually ignore…with scientifically proven 10-minute “bio-hacks.”