An herb from Europe and the Mediterranean, sage (Salvia officinalis) has been used for ceremonial, medicinal, and culinary purposes for thousands of years. In fact, it is one of the most ancient spices listed throughout history in medicinal texts by the Greeks and Romans.
Many ailments were treated by using sage tea. It has a delicate, almost sweet flavor that makes it a fantastic choice for your favorite casserole, meat, and vegetable dishes.
Sage belongs to the mint family (Lamiaceae) which includes rosemary, thyme, basil, lavender, and oregano. All of these herbs are known to be nutrient-dense (low in calories, high in the good stuff) and have been proven to have powerful benefits to overall human health.
It contains vitamin K and A but it is the herb’s content of apigenin, luteolin, diosmetin, and rosmarinic acid that make the oils and teas made from this plant so valuable.
The natural benefits of sage tea…
- Well-tolerated by most people (very rare allergies reported)
- Easily absorbed by your body and gentle on your gastrointestinal system
- Diuretic that aids in flushing toxins, parasites, and bacteria from the body
- Powerful antioxidant properties boost the immune system
- Anti-microbial and anti-fungal that helps with common cold and flu symptoms
- Lowers anxiety levels (as tea or in aromatherapy with sage oil)
- Soothes stomach upset that includes nausea, diarrhea, and bloating
What Else is Sage Tea Good For?
When the scientific community started to study herbs, they didn’t expect the incredible results they discovered. The disease-fighting ability of low-calorie, abundant herbs and spices have pretty much blown researchers away over the last decade.
- The Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry published the results of one study that found the phenolic compounds in sage tea not only protected human DNA but sped the repair of already damaged DNA.
- The rosmarinic acid induced apoptosis (cell suicide) in active cancer cells and inhibited cancer cell growth in mice tumors according to a study published in Nutrition and Cancer.
- Researchers outlined their results in the Journal of Ethnopharmacology on the liver-protective benefits of sage tea. It not only lowered the toxins within the liver, it enhanced the antioxidant levels inside this hard-working organ to keep key nutrients like glutathione from being depleted.
- Advances in Therapy journal reported that women going through menopause experienced a 50% reduction in hot flashes and an improvement in mood and sense of well-being by including sage in their diet over eight weeks.
- A team of scientists published their research in Complimentary Theories in Medicine that showed three months of including sage resulted in lower blood glucose levels, lower LDL “bad” cholesterol, and lower triglycerides in participants. It also raised HDL “good” cholesterol levels.
- Alzheimer’s patients showed a measurable improvement in cognitive ability and sage was found to enhance memory and improve focus in healthy young people.
Sage is inexpensive, readily available, and offered fresh, dried, or ground.
How to Make Sage Tea:
Add one teaspoon of dried sage to a cup of boiling water. Allow it to boil for two minutes. Remove from heat, add honey to sweeten if desired, and drink hot or cold.
Making sage tea is simple and effective.Adding a cup of this antioxidant powerhouse to your daily eating routine is a cheap, delicious way to keep your immune system strong.Click To Tweet
If you are pregnant or nursing, you shouldn’t drink sage tea as it may result in uterine contractions. If you’re currently on diabetes medication, talk to your doctor before adding sage to your diet as it may cause your blood sugar to drop too low.
Having this delicious, nutritious herb in your corner is going to help you feel fantastic in both mind and body. If you suffer from inflammation, stomach upset, hot flashes, high blood sugar, anxiety, or any number of other ailments, trying sage tea just might turn things around!
Want even more goodness? You may like:
Reverse heart disease with this special sugar...You don’t want to miss the sweet secret to beating the #1 killer in the world.
Discover how to detox and protect the most vital body system you usually ignore…with scientifically proven 10-minute “bio-hacks.”